1. We have had an
energy audit through Excel and have found that our attic
insulation is most adequate exness. We followed through with
all their suggestions to improve our energy efficiency
such as by insulating around the vents and around the
chimney in the attic.
2. All the windows have been reworked and we have
installed new rope sashes . The windows have been
weather stripped with metal tongue in groove. The
windows themselves have the old glass pretty much
throughout (thicker and less perfect than what is made
today) exness india.
3. Our stoves are high efficiency, energy star rated.
Our hot water heaters are energy star rated. All other
appliances will be replaced with energy efficient ones
as the need for replacement occurs.
4. Our walk in cooler has 12 inches of foam insulation
to improve its efficiency. In addition, we moved it from
an inside wall next to the furnace, to an outside wall
to take advantage of the cool ground.
5. We use window air conditioners so that we can provide
cooling only where it is needed and when it is needed broker exness.
6. We have an ongoing policy to conserve energy by
turning off lights and electrical equipment when not in
7. We offer a voluntary towel re-use service as an
alternative to daily wet towel replacement.
8. We provide cloth napkins at breakfast.
9. All in all this building is recycled. We saved
whatever we could from the original and we love and
respect its age. We have carefully refurbished the
quarter sawn oak on the first floor. We had to replace
the wood in the second floor master suite sitting room
because of a fire that happened before we owned the
house. The wood is fashioned to match the cut of the
rest of the house however.
10. All light fixtures on the first floor of the house
are antiques rewired.
11. We have replaced many of the light bulbs with the
more efficient, CFL, ones. We have done this in
virtually all the closets and basement lights throughout
the house. In addition, we use dimmers on almost all
incandescent lights in the house.
12. We recycle aluminum, paper, glass, plastic and
cardboard. Notice the wooden recycle bin in the first
floor back hall. Please feel free to use it.
13. We buy carefully with regard to packaging - trying
not to purchase with excess wrappings.
14. We do not offer the tiny little bottles of shampoo,
conditioner and body wash. Instead we refill large ones.
15. We use care in selecting natural cleaning products.
In particular we avoid phosphate rich detergents.
16. We have changed from offering bottled water to the
filtered cold water in the refrigerators in your rooms.
The sports bottles with Cathedral Hillís name imprinted
on the side are for you to use while you are here and to
take home with you.
17. We buy local and frequent the Farmerís market where
possible. And we have a great local food co-op within
walking distance. Our coffee is fair trade organic .
When available we use food harvested from our own garden
or, in the case of berries and apples, from our area.
18. Our yard and garden watering system is a combination
of soaker hoses and drip system with sprinklers in the
grass area. We water between 3 and 6 a.m. to reduce
evaporation. We run it only when needed.
19. Although we cannot claim responsibility for this
piece of lucky geographical location, we are proud to
note that out B&B is walking distance (3 blocks) from
six outstanding restaurants and 3 blocks from the
spectacular walk down Summit Avenue to the Cathedral, JJ
Hill House and the MN Historical Society building.